Airpods happen to be a craze and a big convenience for everyone. You will hardly find anyone who does not own a pair of Airpods. Yet sometimes these Airpods can be a source of problems. A lot of users complain about the muffled sound of Airpods and sometimes the charging problem.
Imagine that you are listening to your favourite song and all of a sudden one Airpod sounds louder than the other. Do you know why this happens?
If you are also annoyed by the issue that one of your airpods is louder than the other and have tried every trick under your sleeve but still not able to solve it then today we offer not one but multiple solutions to this problem.
Why is One Airpod Louder Than the Other? Because there is error in volume settings, error in the device, synchronizatoin problem, charging problem, problem in the case or faulty earpiece. To solve this problem Go to Settings > Accessibilty > Audio/ Visual > Balance. Now, adjust the volume balance using the slider and check if the problem has been solved.
6 different ways to solve this one airpod louder problem have been explained here. Just follow the quick step by step guide and permanently solve the issue. The volume will be balanced in both the airpods.
1. Error in the volume settings of the Airpods
In most cases, the answer to the question, why is one Airpod louder than the other, is due to an error in the volume settings of the Airpods. If the volume settings are not adjusted properly, you may not be able to hear from one of the pods.
However, this is not too big a problem as it can be fixed very easily. You can update your iOS software to its latest version. Apart from that, there are some easy steps as well that you can follow.
- Go to the Settings option on your iPhone or your iPad (whichever is connected to your Airpods)
- Then go to the Accessibility option followed by Audio/ Visual and then Balance.
- You will be able to adjust the volume balance using the slider by moving it from left to right.
You now know the answer to the question why is one Airpod louder than the other. Check if the problem is still bothering you or not.
If you happen to be an iOS 12 user, the above steps may not work for you. You must follow these quick steps instead:
- Go to Settings and then open the General option.
- Go to Accessibility and then to the Hearing option.
- Adjust the volume of the Airpods. You can increase or decrease the volumes individually of the left and right pods.
Steps for Airpods Pro
If you use Airpods Pro, then the volume settings can be adjusted manually in the transparency mode. A software update is recommended. But these are the steps to follow:
- Go to Settings on the device with which your Airpods are connected.
- Now to go to Accessibility, followed by Audio/ Visual.
- From there, open Headphone Accommodations and then Transparency Mode.
- Select the option that says ‘Custom Transparency Mode’ to switch it on.
- Slide between the channels left and right so that the Transparency Balance is adjusted.
You can also access the Transparency by simply clicking on the Hearing icon in the option that says Control Centre.
2. Disconnecting the Airpods from the iPhone or iPad
Sometimes, the problem might be in the device itself. The answer to the question why is one Airpod louder than the other, can be due to faults in the iPhone or iPad in which the Airpods are connected. Most of the times, users have stated that it’s the left airpod that is causing problem.
The only way out in this case is by disconnecting the Airpods from the device in question. This can be done by following the steps given below:
- Go to the Settings option of your iPhone or iPad.
- Then choose the Bluetooth option.
- Click on the icon that reads ‘i’ which is situated next to the Devices option.
- Now select the option that says Forget This Device.
- You will receive a popup message that will ask for your confirmation.
- Click on Forget Device to confirm.
Now you know why is one Airpod louder than the other. You also know how to fix it by disconnecting the Airpods from the device. However, you must also know how to reconnect them so you can enjoy listening to your favourite songs.
The steps to reconnect are equally simple. Here they are:
- Go to the Settings option of your iPhone or iPad.
- Then choose the Bluetooth option and switch it on.
- Keep the Airpods in their charging case and do NOT close the lid.
- Press the button on the charging case’s back as long as a light doesn’t flash.
- Now select the Airpods in the list of devices in the Bluetooth option on your iPhone or iPad.
Disconnecting and reconnecting the airpods to your iPhone or iPad is a basic step. Many times, the airpods fall out of sync or are not able to connect despite the previous pairing.
It is also recommended that after disconnecting the airpods from the Bluetooth of your device, you reboot the device and then reconnect them. This process will work better as there will be no residual apps running in the background of a rebooted iPhone.
3. Fixing the Airpod that is not working
Another answer to the question, why is one Airpod louder than the other, is that the Airpod with a lower volume is not fully charged. As a result, there is some kind of an imbalance of volume on your Airpods. The steps to follow for fixing are given below:
- First, use the Airpod that is the louder one and just use that one only.
- Now keep this Airpod in the charging case along with the one that has a lower volume.
- Do not forget to close the lid of the charging case once you have placed both Airpods in them.
- Once they have been fully charged, the volume balance will be established instantly.
It is not yet known to tech experts what causes this issue. Some have suggested that it has to do with default balancing of volume in Airpods.
However, this is still an answer to the question why is one Airpod louder than the other. All you have to do is to keep your Airpods clean and ensure that they have charged properly.
4. Clear out any dirt for your Airpods
There is one more answer to the question why is one Airpod louder than the other. It can be because of the accumulation of dirt and dust. The microphone of the Airpod is located at its bottom. And this is where much of the dust and dirt accumulates if it is not cleaned for a long time. As a result, there is an imbalance of volume between the two Airpods.
Now that you know why is one Airpod louder than the other, it is your responsibility to ensure that the microphone is kept clean. Along with the Airpods, you must also keep the charging case inside clean and dirt-free as well.
- Just open the charging case, and check if there is any dirt that has accumulated in the Airpod.
- If you detect any dirt, clean it with the help of buds.
- Once the connector and device have been cleaned, it won’t be difficult to dock them.
- Once the docking is done, the volume of your device will be automatically reset.
It is recommended that you regularly clean your aipods along with the charging case. We use our airpods in many different environment conditions, humid weather, dry air, dirt and dust make a nasty combination and slowly start clogging your device.
Also, try to keep your airpods and the charging case in a closed drawer to keep them clean.
5. Connecting the Airpods with any other device
You know why is one Airpod louder than the other. It can be because of the device it is connected to or due to a problem in the Airpods itself. But even after fixing both, the Airpods may still have a sound imbalance.
In that case, you need to connect your Airpods to any other device. This can be your Android or PC. The steps to connecting airpods with another device is the same as iPhone/iPad. It can also be a different iPhone or iPad. After connecting, check if the Airpods are working properly or not.
In all likelihood, they will, which means your original device is at fault. That is why is one Airpod louder than the other.
6. Replace the Airpods using the warranty card
If all the above steps fail, then there can be only reason behind one Airpod being louder than the other. You have received a faulty device and you must get it replaced.
Contact your Apple Support or to the nearest Apple Store. If your warranty has not expired, then you will be able to get your product replaced without paying anything.
You can also ask the technicians at Apple, if they can fix the Airpods in case there is some problem that you are unable to identify. Usually the repair takes a few weeks, but if you have AppleCare+, you will not have to wait that long.
Hopefully, these steps will help you not only answering the question Why is one airpod quieter than the other but will also help solve the problem for you.
Bookmark this page for future reference. If any of your friends or loved ones are also facing the same problem then feel free to share the article to help them solve this issue.